If you missed the call on 4/23/09, Gini was taking notes as the call went along (while also leading the call) and I am posting them here. Take a look and see how many ideas for writing you pick up (or are reminded of). This is a great time for writing!! And the next 30 Articles in Just 30 Days tele-coaching event is coming up on June 19, 2009.
Here are the notes from the call-in on 4/23/09 or you can click here for the notes in a Word file: 30articles4-09notes-from-the-call-in-april-23
While there were just three of us on the call, it would have been difficult to wedge more words in! There was a great deal of sharing and informing going on. Thanks to those of you who were on the call.
About writing goals:
- Overall success
- Sometimes get side-tracked but that has been OK because there is so much more to write about
Wonderful diversity in this group of writers:
Books, pamphlets, guidelines for college courses, academic articles, e-zine, books, fiction and creative non-fiction… there seems to be no end
There were just as many topics for writing
- Adolescent and young adult topics
- Writing for relatives
- Scholarly articles about molecules
- Articles for business, communication,
- Data analysis
- Setting goals in business
- Physiology of the braining and relating this to buying
- Flash fiction
- Gardening articles
- Believe me, this is the tip of that iceberg!!!
Ideas for getting work organized
- e-zine section “My Next 10 Articles Ideas”
- Mindjet MindManager (so you get a visual display of your ideas)
- EndNote – for references
- Toogle Tool download from Microsoft (to help you rediscover shortcuts, etc. on Office 2007
- The book: How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Academic Writing by Paul J. Silvia; he is a psychology professor and has published books and MANY scholarly articles. His book, published by APA is useful, encouraging and *fun* to read. Definitely worth purchasing.
- Scrivener – good for book writing or screen play
- Check our Literature and Latte – good for all sorts of things
- Meet once a month
- Wonderful and supportive
- Everyone sends piece in advance
- Not e-zine articles or scholarly work but might be a book chapter
- Everyone shares on one piece while the author remains silent. (this can be torture!)
- Author gets to speak at the end.
- Then move to next person.
- Lots of trust
- Time has built trust, respect, confidence
- Recently published a 10 year anthology
- Very circumspect about size and new members to maintain the positive dynamics
- Great for critical feedback
- Great deadline incentive
- Meeting deadlines
- Time wasted searching for resource
- Not always diligent
- Sometimes I jump from project to project and so nothing gets done
- One article or piece of writing moves me to the next
- Practical writing can be quick
- Ideas for writing are endless – and getting endlesser!
- Writing means I am organized
- Writing used as preparation for tele-seminars
- Class and information of “How to become proficient in verbal communication” (ezine article on this)
- Meggin’s class provided a kick to quit procrastinating
- Check out gardening articles The Huntington Rose Society – an affiliate of American Rose Society
- Use of the timer – and now I am ready to keep going even after the bell
- Writing is becoming more natural
- Read Back in Charge by Adrian Ahern
- Scheduling is re-enforcing, feels good
For details, just contact me and I will send you to the source. Looking forward to the email flurry next Thursday, April 30, 2009.
THANKS, Gini! What a supportive coach you are – and you took notes, too!!