My accountant has recently sent me a letter that he is down sizing and is unable to continue on as my accountant. As I look for a new accountant, are there certain features I should be sure to shop for? Do you have any recommendations?
Posted by Jeni Blakely | 8/23/07
This is a wonderful question and has come up in a couple of the MEMc calls, also. Here are some questions to consider:
- Does the person specialize in working with small businesses (vs. someone who primarily does pesonal accounting)?
- Are there other clients that you could talk to and/or has this person already come recommended by other people who are small business owners?
- Where is the person located? Does s/he work from home or in an office building, etc?
- What accounting software do they want you to use so that you can be compatible with what they use?
- CPA or not? If you’re choosing a new one, it’s worth choosing one who is. I have had an accountant who wasn’t, and he was knowledgeable and did a great job, but now the one I have is a CPA and I like that.
- How accessible is the accountant? If you get a letter from the IRS (that turns out to be no big deal, but it freaks you out the minute you get it), can you call and reach the accountant to find out what’s happening?
- When you meet with the person, do you like him/her?
My accountant is Tori Ohlsen and she lives here in Reno. I am not positive whether she is taking new clients but that’s who I have.
Note: I checked with her and she is not taking anyone new, but gave me the name of someone she highly recommends: Lydia Douglas, CPA. Her number is 775.846.1842.
Here’s what a couple of my friends who are small business owners said about their accountants:
Here’s what Chris Cox said:
I use Hartmann & Associates, and they use Quickbooks Online, which is a good thing. They have an accounting person who handles all the monthly stuff, accounts payable and follow-up on overdue/outstanding invoices. We still invoice from our offices, as that was just too hard to translate to them. They’ve done great reporting and are very reliable. I’d recommend them. Contact info:
Ralph Hartmann, CPA | Hartmann & Associates
943 Pyramid Way | Sparks, NV 89431 | 775-358-6649
Here’s what Joelle Jay said:
Michael Dobrowski – 775.329.0843
Love him –
So, these are two more recommendations you might access.